European-American Life

Friday, April 25, 2014

DISNEYLAND AND OSAMA BIN LADEN

By Tom Kando


This year, we celebrated New Years’ Eve in Disneyland. That’s also where we were exactly 32 months ago, the day Osama Bin Laden was killed.

We flew to Disneyland to celebrate new years eve with my family - my wife and I, my daughters, my grandchildren, my son-in-law. Plus five million other people.

The attractions are varied: there is the old Disneyland park, the new part called “California Adventure,” “Downtown Disneyland,” which is a whole bunch of restaurants and shops, and more. You can buy single tickets, or get package deals, or the “one-day hopper,” or  the “two or three-day hopper,” etc. So a ticket to the rides can cost anywhere from about one hundred dollars to $400, $500 or more.  I asked whether they had discounts for senior left-handed citizens born in Hungary (me), but they didn’t.

Then, you try to get on some of  the rides. You can try to get “fast track” tickets, or you can stand in line. On December 31, a popular ride such as Space Mountain or Indiana Jones could require you to stand in line for 3 hours.  That way, if you hit the park in late morning, you can get at least two rides in before dinner.

Is this a problem? Nah. We had  a good time. My children and grandchildren are smarter than me. They got fast-track tickets, multiple days, etc. From their hotel, they had quick access to the park via the monorail.

My grandson and I did Autopia together, with him at the wheel. That’s where you drive a gasoline car around an enclosed track, with no possibility of derailing. I noticed a fellow right behind us, he must have been in his fifties. He was by himself, focusing real hard and concentrating on driving  his car as carefully as possible. He probably didn’t have a valid drivers license, maybe he lost it because of a DUI, and he was taking the Disney Autopia ride out of nostalgia for real car driving...

We managed  to do the Pirates of the Caribbean. Little Sadie was petrified. She spent nearly the entire ride hiding her head in her dad’s lap.

There were fire works early in the evening already, and again at midnight of course, for the new year.  Between 9:00 PM and midnight, Disneyland’s total population put it temporarily ahead of Tokyo as the world’s largest conglomeration of people. 

We went to a relatively early dinner at the Naples Pizzeria in Downtown Disney.

Uncannily, we were in  the very same restaurant, at just about the same time, with just about the same members of my family. On May 1, 2011:

We had just sat down and we were perusing the menu and the wine list. My youngest daughter arrived and joined  us  ten minutes late. She had been shopping for a purse or something. She hugged us and then she said, in an agitated voice: 

    “Have you heard, dad? Tomorrow, we will capture and kill Osama Bin Laden!”

    “Wow!” I replied. “How do you know this?”

    “I just walked by one of those electronic  billboards, you know, up on top of a department store, and it was flashing  a news message which said that American Navy Seals had captured and killed Osama Bin Laden. The official date and time of death, it said, was: May 2, 2012, 1:10 AM...”

    “That’s good news,” I said, then adding: “I assume that he was killed somewhere in the Middle East, where it’s already May 2, right?”

    “Right, but dad, he died tomorrow!” my witty daughter replied. “Over in Pakistan, he is already dead, but here in California, it’s still May 1, and since the official date of his death will go down in history as May 2,  he is not yet dead, at least not for us here in California...”

    “I love it!” I said. “You’re spinning a science fiction yarn. So if Osama Bin Laden is still alive as far as California is concerned, could he escape death by quickly moving here?”

    “I suppose he could,” she said, playing along. “But I’m not sure we want him to escape death. He is a very bad man...”
    “I agree. But for now, you are just PREDICTING  his death, right?”

    “Right.”

    “But what about all the Internet chatter saying that he is already  dead? Plus: have we heard anything from President  Obama  yet?”

    “Not that I know. All I know is that it would be a mistake for the President to announce Bin Laden’s death today, since he is not dead until tomorrow...”

    No, we weren’t smoking anything weird during our conversation.

© Tom Kando 2014

leave comment here

17 comments:

  1. 1 – 17 of 17
    Anonymous Anonymous said...
    Dad, this was a really fun story. We all love you and are rooting for a very quick recovery. It's amazing, knowing how much it hurts you to sit at the computer, that you took the time to write this give us all giggle. Xo, d

    ReplyDelete
  2. said...
    Tom - This was fun to read. Haven't been to Disneyland in ages. It is a strange place.

    March 20, 2014 at 8:26 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story. Feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Tom--I'm so sorry to hear of your illness. It sounds rather exotic, but utterly devoid of the glamour one associates with that word. I hope your recovery will be quick and complete. Please know that I'm thinking of you with every good wish. Ann Weldy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roy Staton said...
    Hope you get better professor! May 1st 2011 was a great day. We were all out to dinner at elephant bar in Sacramento for my daughters 20th birthday when we got the news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous said...
    Welcome back, Tom. So glad you're recovering! And wouldn't you know--You're still entertaining us with delightful observations. Love the Disneyland story!
    Cheryl Chambers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous Gail said...
    Well, this is the most fascinating story and I concur that it does belong in the science library or Twilight Zone. Rod Sterling, The creator of Twilight Zone, would have loved this story and I think that a narrative around time and location would have been a instant best seller! What a wise way to understand time and how we interpret from its ticking lens.

    Actually, I read this and felt like going to a good book store and reading for the rest of this Friday camped out in a mom and pops shop on a big couch surrounded by curious people who just want to take it easy and think and relax with a cup of coffee. This blog makes me beleive in creativity and imagination...And, by the way I am so happy to see your blog because as of yesterday I said to myself, " I have not heard from Tom Kando", and then your blog with explanation."
    My prayers of support are overflowing and one thing I know for sure is that you are the most resilient person I know. I sign you up, Tom, as the type of person that Flourishes under fire. Thanks for sharing and creating enjoyable, thought provoking and serious commentary for us through European-American Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol Anita Ryan said...
    I'm so sorry to learn of your health problems. I loved your funny sci fi story. Let's hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom, what a pleasure to see you back blogging. I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time, and hope your treatment is helping the pain. Missed your witty sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael said...
    Hey Tom, get well soon, you old coot. I do not want to do without your blogs....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tom:
    I looked up "brachial plexus neuritis" and can understand why you are in such pain. Life is not fair but I'm sure you've thought of that before. Take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tom,
    I did read this blog and was very sorry to hear about your new illness, hope it's going better, you looked pretty healthy yesterday at the club.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Tom,

    Sorry to hear you are unwell. Hope you will get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read your blog this morning and learned of your shoulder issues. I had wondered about your silence over the past few weeks. I was diagnosed with neck arthritis a couple of years ago, which causes both shoulder and upper arm pain, although nothing like what you are enduring, so I can sympathize. I hope your recovery from this affliction is rapid and complete.

    All best,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Tom.
    I hope you get better soon. We miss you in Band, especially Linda and me. We are thinking of you all the time and hoping things are getting better for you. We miss your very good flute playing.
    Sincerely,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, anonymous, Steve, Mary, Unknown, Roy, anonymous, Gail, Carol Anita, Sharon, Michael, Scott, Jon, Ty, Bill and Jane. This is heart-warming. Helps a lot

    ReplyDelete
  17. Makes me want to take another trip to Disneyland. Been there many times but always enjoy it except for the price. Hoping for your recovery from that awful sickness sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete