European-American Life

Monday, June 9, 2014

DUTCH SKATING IS FABULOUS

By Tom Kando

(first written on 2/10/2014)

Now that the Dutch skaters are raking in the gold medals in Sochi, I want to share with you some very fond memories.

Dutch skaters such as Irene Wust, Sven Kramer and the Mulder twins are dominating Olympic speed skating. Wust is phenomenal. She won gold at the 2006 winter games in Turin, Italy, again in 2010 in Vancouver, and now for the third time in Russia! Over the years, the Dutch have won 90 winter Olympic medals, 86 of them for skating!

Let me tell you how I experienced the beauty of long-distance skating. I grew up in Holland. By Dutch standards, I was a mediocre skater. But by any other standard I was reasonably good. Good enough to play intra mural ice hockey for my college fraternity.

When I went to high school in Amsterdam back in the 1950s, it was before global warming. The Dutch winters were still rugged. Like many other folks in Amsterdam, we lived on a canal. So in the winter, I was sometimes able to skate to school. Early on, I had so-called “Friese Doorlopers.” This type of skate consists of a wooden platform with the metal blade/skate under it. You simply tie the thing underneath your shoe. That way, you are still wearing your shoes while you skate, and you can get on and off the ice and walk around in your shoes whenever necessary. So I would tie my skates under my shoes, step on the frozen canal in front of our house, and off I went toward my high school near the Beethovenstraat. Later, I replaced my antique skates with a pair of fine, state-of-the-art “Noren,” the regular sort of skate used by professional speed skaters today, similar to ice hockey skates, except that the blade is nearly twice as long, jutting out far in front of the shoe.

The canals of Amsterdam would freeze over most winters, sometimes for months on end. The trick was to know when the ice was thick enough to be safe. We often skated even when the ice was still so thin that it “undulated” a bit.

Bridges presented a danger: The ice was always thinner underneath bridges - sometimes it was non-existent. And of course, Amsterdam’s grid of canals passes under bridges at just about every city block. Whenever you passed under a bridge, you took your chances. Here you approached the bridge at full speed, aiming to pass underneath. But if you broke through the thin ice under the bridge, you could shoot forward under the ice and never come back up.

I never experienced or witnessed any such tragedy, only heard about them. I only experienced and witnessed the joy of Dutch skating.

The most glorious form of skating was out in the countryside. There, you could skate over vast distances, towards the horizon. The entire country is cris-crossed by canals. Every cow field is separated from the next one by a canal or a ditch. You can skate for hundreds of kilometers in every direction, from one corner of the country to another. And there are dozens of lakes, up in Friesland near Sneek, all over North Holland, everywhere. Just outside of Amsterdam, there are “plassen” (lakes) everywhere - Vinkeveen, Loosdrecht, Westeinderplassen, you name it. You could skate to these lakes from the city’s canals, starting for example at the Boerenwetering.

Once you were outside the city, you just kept going. It was grandiose. Small as Holland is, it had grandeur. Eventually, you’d reach the lakes, skating over deep black ice, a surface as smooth and slippery as a mirror. With one arm behind your back and the other one swinging back and forth for balance, you’d aim for the other side, distant and dotted with tiny and barely discernible people, as in Breughel’s paintings. The only things interrupting the perfectly flat landscape were a couple of  church steeples  and  windmills, far away. The sky could be low, with threatening clouds, the way  Ruysdael depicted it, or brilliantly blue and  sunny,  with crisp sub-zero temperature. It  was utter silence and solitude, just you and the world.

But for any of this to happen, it has to freeze. One of Holland’s great traditions is the “Elfstedentocht.” (The Eleven Cities Race). This is a 200-kilometer ice skating race that has been held throughout the 20th century. It takes place in the Northern province of Friesland, and it goes through Leeuwarden, Sneek and nine other cities. Alas, the last time that the race was possible was 1997, due to global warming. It almost happened in 2012, but had to be canceled at the last moment.

The Dutch ice skating tradition will not die easily, witness the country’s Olympic prowess. Thanks to state-of-the-art training facilities and a true love for the sport, the country continues to cherish and excel in this marvelous activity.

© Tom Kando 2013
leave comment here

11 comments:

  1. I loved your descriptions of Dutch skating, Tom. The descriptions made me feel the experience. Bravo for taking us on this adventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific tradition! Only wish the ice would still freeze. I used to play pick-up hockey with my friends and strangers on frozen lakes in far northern California in the 60's. I remember how the ice would sway and sometimes break. Great times. Best to you, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I went to school with several Olympic speed skating medalists. My semi-secret claim to fame; I beat the smallest of the speed-skating girls (skated in Olympics but no medal)at an informal hand wrestling once (she was 5 lbs heaver than me, so it was fair). I promised to never reveal her name. Honest. I never agreed to a rematch. Obviously, speed skaters don't work on upper body a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful piece of writing! I had not imagined what a pleasure skating in Holland would be. Thank you for giving me a glimmer into that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice story. When Sally and I made our way back to Missoula from Oregon through the snow storms blanketing the Northwest, we came across skaters being pulled along the ice on a river by parasails. Looked like great fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, guys. Seems that I was able to convey some of my enthusiasm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great piece… you made their accomplishments come alive with your personal storie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old Chinese fortune cooking (fun, but probably not true): "When skating over thin ice, your safety is in your speed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice comments, everyone. En jullie Hollanders? vinden jullie mijn stukje niet leuk? (What about you dutchmen? don't you like what I wrote)?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, i share your childhood experience. My starting point was always the Boerenwetering, as I lived right next to it. Used to skate all day with my dad and brothers, long distance on my Friese doorlopers. Climbing over dykes and roads, hitting the lakes south of Amsterdam, remembering the black ice on the lakes. Wonderfull and cold memories and there was always the Koek en Zopie. Those small food stands on the ice for dutch pea soup, the real homemade stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. and there is no winter in Holland now, it's more like Spring

    ReplyDelete